Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ramblings on Costuming: Madonna and Soundwave Costumes

So I'm very happy that I have a very Aimée-zing friend who is as much of a costuming nerd as I am, because she totally gets my obsession. Coming up with ideas for Halloween costumes has actually never been much of a problem, or even putting them together for that matter...it's always actually committing to an idea that gets me.

Anyway, I just wanted to do a series of posts on costumes I've already done and some of the other ideas I have swirling around in my head...because you know I've only got 5 months until one of my most favoritest holidays of the year! Plus, our Mardi Gras costumes this year were pretty bad ass, so I just wanted to share them.

Mardi Gras 2011: I was Madonna, circa 1990, Blond Ambition Tour and some of my lady friends were also dressed in other Madonna looks. I wish we would have had a few more ladies participate, but I looked awesome nonetheless. My husband's costume almost drove me insane to build. He gave me a sketch of what he wanted it to look like and I did all of the construction design and he did all of electronic sound setup. That's right, since he's a Saints Soundwave Transformer, he wanted to make sure he had working speakers to blast his Saints music through (an upgrade from last year's JamzPak).









It took me weeks to put together his damn costume. I probably put together mine in about 3 hours...and I felt like I could have done it better if I had been able to spend more time on the bodysuit...but I know I'm no Jean-Paul Gaultier, so it wasn't going to be perfect anyway.

Unfortunately, as much time as we spent on the transformer suit, it was really not built to stand up to the tumble of Bourbon St., so most of it was dissembled and pitched (but of course after we took lots of pictures and notes for improvements)

No comments:

Post a Comment